Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Delightful Whirlwind

My little sister has found love. As she planned her wedding we planned our trip out to see her in Chicago. I left the little ones at home with hubby and had a few marvelous friends pitch in to help when needed.

I was off with my mom and dad to head to the windy city. I felt like I was 16 again sitting behind those two. What a crack up they are. Some things just don’t change I suppose. The flight out there was all well and good until the kid in my row decided to heave. Can someone say Bummer??? Thankfully I was buried in my book and looking out the window while his mom took care of him. Whew! We arrived in Chicago and the whirlwind had begun. We stopped off to see some family, had dinner with more family (had a YUMMMMMMY filet and a key lime martini Ahhhh....) and then crashed at the hotel before we were off the next the morning for a 5 hour drive to Nauvoo.

The heat was no where to be found in the car we were driving. Apparently, mom and dad had a love affair with the air conditioning fairy. Who would have thought that soon I would be melting while waiting outside of the church for my little sister?? Not me! We passed corn field after corn field and then the mighty Mississippi river. Almost there….

Mom in a corn field


We got to the beautiful temple where they were married and awaited their exit. They both wore smiles from ear to ear as they opened the doors to come out. There is not a whole lot better than a happy couple. Most importantly, my sister was happy and in love. We followed them to the location for their ring ceremony which was beautiful!!!


On the road again…. found our hotel… oops, they didn’t have our reservation! Off to find another…. My head hit the pillow pretty hard that night but not before thinking about the fireflies that I just knew my little man would LOVE to chase and catch.

The next day we had another long drive plus the wedding reception. I love their song choice for their first dance it’s one of my faves: Lucky by Jason Mraz. Have you heard it??? Listen to the music on this page and you'll hear it. Not to shabby if you can manage to marry your best friend! I LOVE IT! The reception was pulled together by my sister and her church. They did a great job! There was food, dancing and most importantly family. I LOVED spending time with my family!!! It was by far my most favorite part!

We got back to the hotel and I slipped into bed around midnight. Ahhhh…. 3 more hours until I have to be up and going again. Oh wait…. you’ve got to be kidding me!!!! There was some commotion in the hall. A few loud colorful words were exchanged by some drunk and some not so drunk men. It lasted a few minutes and then they went to their room to fight- which by the way was next to me! Do I call the front desk? Nah. They settled down and I nestled in bed for a long nap. When I get up it will be time to start the journey home.

Our trip lasted 4 days. We flew LA to Chicago, drove 666 miles in a rental car, flew back. I finished 3 books, had quality time with mom and dad and I was able to spend time with family. It was a delightful whirlwind to say the least.

2 comments:

Goldilocks said...

Nice post- I don't remember stopping at a corn feild on the way to Navoo.

A Sassy Chick said...

Thanks. :0)
The corn field picture was taken after we left Nauvoo and were on our way to the hotel that lost our reservation. With all the corn fields we had to stop to take a quick snapshot and mom was elected to be in it. :0)

Post a Comment