Thursday, July 16, 2009

What if...

How many times do you simply run on autopilot? There are so many times during the day that I know I turn it on- the problem lies in forgetting to turn it off. There are times I turn around and wonder how long I have let it go on. I get my routine down and I go through my day which then leads to the next day and then the next. Do I really remember to engage in the daily mysteries of life? Do I stop and smell the flowers that have over taken my back yard? Have I stopped long enough to listen to the beautiful laughter of my family or was I to busy trying to get dinner on the table, bath time going and answering the phone to confirm yet another appointment?

What if you truly lived like you were dying? What would you change? What would you alter about your daily routine? Would you still nurse that grudge that you have been holding onto? You know the one- the one way back in your mind that you have covered up with a decorative rug. Would you call your friends more? What about that family member that you haven’t spoken with in a year or so? Would you let your kids stay up just a bit later so they could watch a silly show with you? What would be different?

What if you loved like you could never get hurt? What if all those walls you have spent so much time building were to fall like the walls of Jericho? Would you be free to express your love easier? Would you love tenderly? Would you love recklessly?

What if you faced your worst fear? It doesn’t matter if it is facing bees, death, or a life without love. Would you crumble under pressure? Would you rise to the challenge? Would you stare your fear in the face and stand unyielding? Would you find your boxing gloves and fight like hell or would you find the nearest bed and hide under the covers?

Although we would like to think we “control” our lives surely we don’t. Kids go missing everyday. The circle of life is called to include births and deaths. People face love lost and learn to love again. Bees fly, pollinate, and make yummy honey.

I pray that you remember to turn off autopilot and live each day as though it was your last. That you face your fears and not let them control you. That you restore broken relationships and walk in grace. I pray that you never go to bed angry and you love unconditionally.

2 comments:

Crusty Granny said...

Aboslutely wonderful - you should be a writer!!

Jordan said...

You seem to have written what I needed to read (or hear). Thanks my dear!

Post a Comment