Friday, July 24, 2009

Family Book Challenge - Part 1

Who was it that said you should lead by example??? Well, whoever that was I have put that to work on several occasions around our house. This summer, I have decided to put it to work while trying to get my little man to read. My little man does not love to read, so having a set amount of time each day to read was getting hairy. What was I to do?

Each summer we offer Dylan $1.00 for every book he reads. It begins the last day of school and ends the first day of school. Two weeks into summer Dylan was still not happy about reading and had little desire in our summer reading offer. Bummer- this wasn't working AGAIN! You see, each summer this has been our offer but, each summer he chooses not to play along. I was determined that this summer was going to be different!

I spoke with my main man and we decided to up the ante this year and create a slight twist to the summer reading rules. This year, we will hold a family book challenge and whoever has the largest stack of books read at the end wins $50.00. Dylan's ears perked up when we mentioned the dollar amount- imagine that! I figured I had a leg up on the game with all my reading while I was gone at my little sister's wedding and then Dylan vetoed that decision. I was unable to use the 3 books I had read over the weekend. Agh! The boy had a point but, I was sure hoping to get a head start! Not a chance!

It has been 4 weeks since the family book challenge has begun and there has been a friendly competition between me and Dylan. As of today, these are our stacks of books we have completed. He is ahead by a smidgen. He is now my reading machine and he can hardly get his nose out of his books! What a great problem to have!

We have a couple more weeks to go I wonder who will win????
I need to run.... I gotta go read! Wish us luck!

1 comments:

Andrea said...

What a GREAT idea! I'm rooting on the little guy to win:-)
Happy Reading!
Readers are Leaders!
Love,
Snow

Post a Comment