Sunday, August 22, 2010

Reckless or Vigilant

I really wish I could set aside this check in my spirit. I want to be like the cool kids on the play ground and play the cool new game, but there is something in me screaming “No!” There is a piece of me that says I want to and I’m gonna, so there! I am my own person, right? I can make my own choices, right?


The truth is I believe that that little voice inside is the spirit of God. I believe that His wisdom surpasses mine. (shocking, I know!) It reminds me of a child that sees their ball roll out into the street and the parent says stop. The child doesn’t grasp anything other than what it desires- the ball. The parent, on the other hand, sees cars coming in both directions and wants to protect the child from being squished like a bug.

Parental wisdom does not always make a whole lot of sense to the child until they grow up. So until then, we hope and pray that our children trust us and follow our wisdom. This wisdom is not a stack of rules that keeps them from having fun with their friends. It is a tablet of insight that is set in place to guard them from getting hurt both spiritually and physically. I believe that it is up to each of us to decide whether we want to be reckless or vigilant.

Today I choose to listen to that voice. I’m not even sure why it is telling me no, but I have learned to trust it. There may be a car that I don’t see coming to squish me like a bug. So I choose to listen and stop. I’m trusting that little voice in my head that says no even though the other kids are off playing the game I thought I wanted to play. There is no judgment from me; God didn’t tell them no. He told me no and I trust Him with my whole heart to know what’s best for my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment