Monday, October 18, 2010

154 and counting

It’s funny to think of how people view my baby girl. “Poor things can’t talk. Awww…”
Ba hahahahaha!! Baaa Hahahahaha!!

Every so often I update a list of words my sweet one has in her vocabulary. In January she was up to 108 words! Wait… but she can’t talk!?!?!?!? Odd, I know.  I have been pushing at school to add Sign Language to her educational program because… THAT is how she speaks. Unfortunately, if her aide does not sign then whatever Faith is trying to tell THEM falls to deaf ears. Figure that one out! Irony at it’s finest!!

We are lucky to currently have an aide in the classroom that has a background in ASL. (American Sign Language) She has stepped up and started to sign with Faith and is teaching other aides words like days of the week etc. The other aides have jumped online and have looked words up on their own time to bring to the classroom so that they can speak with my sweet one. Oh, thank you Lord! I have since updated our vocabulary list and we are at 154 words!

In our last meeting with the teachers, Principal, plus a few district staff it was agreed that Faith would benefit from having an interpreter in the classroom. This is a small step for man but a HUGE step for mankind! Ok, well you know what I mean. This is HUGE!!!!

--> insert victory dance here <--

5 comments:

Betsi* said...

Fantastic! That is such excellent news.

Anonymous said...

That is great Holly, ask and you shall receive...well maybe eventually! haha! Wow, 154 words is amazing too! I tell you, little Faith is going to talking your ear off one day soon :)

Amy

Britton Minor Graefensteiner said...

While I know that you are blessed to be Faith's mommy, she is also blessed that God chose you to be her mother. I know the advocate you are for her...how you fight, inside and out, to be everything you can possibly be (and do) for her, on her behalf, and as you are directed. It takes a special kind of person to strive, to overcome, and to be truly joyous with the daily challenges of life with a precious child whose needs often require you to "buck the system" in order to help her thrive. You are an angel and a hero...

Anonymous said...

Hi Hol,
Love your efforts & hope! Takes me back to thinking about my little girl who wanted to teach hearing impaired kids. Sound familiar? Another case where God turned what appeared at the time to be a stumble on a rock in our life path, into a discovery of what's underneath, or in other words, a blessing to be used in the future. Now is yesterdays future, and I'm so proud of what you are doing with it.

I'm excited about you and Faith leading the way out of the darkness. Lead on for whomever will follow! Don't be discouraged by those who don't, or those who try to block the way. You have a dream and a cause. It is worthy! It is important! Make it happen.

Love you, proud of you!
dad

cheri said...

GOD is AWSOME, WONDERFUL, FANTASIC and a bunch of other exciting words!!!! Being persistent is a great thing!!! And Faith is blessed because God blessed you!!!!

Post a Comment