Thursday, May 14, 2009

Blooming where you are planted


We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. Romans 12:6-8


This was my verse of the day today and it resonated deep within me. I randomly find myself looking and longing for other's gifts. I notice women who have "jobs". They are gifted artists, writers, and entrepreneurs. There are times that I would like to be looked upon as a professional and holding a job with "value". There are days that I wish that I was called to be something with more travel or with a higher paying job. I, on the other hand, am called to be a stay at home mom. I know stay at home moms are not looked upon as the most envied job in America. We are not paid according to our time or position. Just for giggles I took a survey on Salary.com to see how much I should be making as a stay at home mom. Drum roll please.... My annual salary would be.... $193,208. I say... Show me the money!! (in my bank account preferably)

But there is another side to this story that overlooked too many times. (even in my own world) I have the honor to be chosen by the King to play my part. If we all played the same part how could there be such a beautiful balance? He has called me to be a mom – a stay at home mom. I have the privilege to take a huge part in my children’s lives every day. I am the one making them breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (ok, sometimes I cheat and don't technically make dinner... but I provide dinner) I know their friends intimately. I am the one who helps them with their homework, goes on field trips with them, and totes them around to all of their activities. I love that my friends are the therapists that work with my sweet little girl. I have the privilege to work in the classroom and pour into my children. Of course, there are days that are harder than others. But it’s me- I get them! I am the one who gets to raise the next generation of the Bailes family. I am proud of these little people who call me Mom. I love that my everyday revolves around these little souls that God has trusted me with. This is big picture love. A love that says "I lay down my wants and desires for you. I freely give up sick days, vacations, and expensive clothing." I am so very blessed. Today I celebrate the job I have been called to. Today I celebrate being a Stay at Home Mom! Today I desire to bloom where I am planted.


** Fine Print: To the Moms out there that work outside of the home, You Go Girl! This is simply a personal victory of celebrating where I have been planted in my life. May you bloom where you are planted.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

This is soooo beautifully stated! As much as I adore my job as a SAHM, I, too, envy others "jobs" at times. Thank you for the touching post to remind me what my REAL purpose is!
Love,
Snow

Crusty Grannyt said...

And.....I am the Granny who gets to be so proud and delite in the happiness placed on my life, because my son has chosen a wonderful person to raise this next generation of "The Bailes Family". YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Jordan said...

I am just catching up on your blog, it's been a few weeks. :) I love this post. Being a SAHM is a wonderful blessing and one of the best gifts we can give our children and family. I know I work outside the home (with Wed. off) as well but it's still with the schools and I get to be home on all the breaks with Jordan and work in his classroom on Wednesdays so I'm a half and half kind of girl I guess. Sure, the designer clothes, purses and fun things would be nice but I would not trade my son's childhood for them! No way. I'm just workin' for baseball money. haha Thanks for posting this. I loved it!

Post a Comment