Friday, January 22, 2010

Finding your First Aid Station

- Shirelles

Mama said there would be days like this for sure! Its been raining for several days now and I can feel it!

Day 1 - My kiddos had no school so we stayed at home and enjoyed the day off. Filling it with cartoons and games and of course a little laundry.

Day 2 - My little man was sick with a cold and you could see in his eyes that he didn’t feel good. It was an easy choice to keep him home and let him rest it off. Little Miss didn’t have school due to a teacher in service day so we made up some therapy appointments with little man in tow.
Day 3 - Little guy went to school VERY reluctantly. Tears were had in the morning and the feelings of a mom that was heartless and cruel to send her child to school with a sniffle. (Geesh! What was I thinking?)
Day 4 - Hallelujah! Both kids went to school and I could have a little space to breathe. Wait… I have things to do and errands to run. Sigh… I did take in one store just for me and I relished the time to stop and enjoy myself if but for a moment alone.
Day 5 - Little man woke up with a tummy ache. My plans of having a relaxing day at home to unplug just got flushed down the drain! OK, I can deal with this. Readjust my expectations for the day ahead. Little Miss is off to school and I will take that blessing and run with it.

Run. When I imagine running a marathon I think about endurance. I think about how one would have to pace themselves. How one would have to watch the road ahead and reevaluate with every turn. I don’t run marathons but I feel like I am running a race every day. I am trying to pace myself. I try to balance time with my children, hubby, family, friends, chores, and way down on the list is me. Where is that balance in THAT? Where is there time for nourishment for the body and the soul? Even the runners at a marathon have people cheering them on, handing them water or snacks and of course there is the ever important first aid station. Where is MY first aid station in life?

My plans today were to unplug. (Unplug: to disconnect an electrical appliance by pulling its plug out of a socket and removing the source of input.) Today really made me stop and think about moms and this race we are in and how ever important it is to stop and find that first aid station and not feel guilty about looking for it. Am I a lesser mom for needing some time NOT to be in mom mode for a minute? Am I a lesser wife for NOT wanting to be in wife mode for a minute? I think not! I believe I am a stronger mom for stopping to feed myself so that I can feed my children. I believe I am a stronger wife for taking time for myself so that I am not depleted when my hubby comes home. What good am I to my family or friends or even myself if I am drained, depleted, spent and have nothing more to give?

So today with my little girl in school and my little guy snuggled in bed I am making time for me. I may read or scrapbook or crawl in bed and nap. Who knows, I many do all of the above but I do so without guilt. I do so knowing that if I am fed both physically and spiritually that I will be a better mom and wife to those I hold most dear.

3 comments:

Carly said...

I completely agree! Which is why I sent Caleb off to a freind's house while Travis and josiah are at a scout meeting this evening. I get some "me time" (little missy is fast asleep)

Andrea said...

AMEN sistah!
love,
Snow

Mother Goose said...

Wow so wise to understand, and do something about it. You are very blessed. I agree with Snow... Amen

Post a Comment