Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oxygen Mask

Have you ever actually listened to the airline safety speech the stewardess says? I found it interesting for a long time that they say “Please make sure to secure your own mask before assisting others.” You know- when they are talking about if there was a loss in cabin pressure the oxygen masks will deploy from the compartment located above you.

Isn’t it funny that they have to remind you to put your own mask on first? Some people’s first instinct is to help others before themselves. Yet, if they do not care for themselves, they are of little use to others. It kind-a makes my head spin a little if I think about this too much before my morning cup of coffee. The truth is it’s just that important.  In order to be useful to others you have to be able to take care of yourself.

Today I put on my oxygen mask first. It wasn’t a yellow mask hanging from the compartment above me, but it felt like it a bit. Today I took the time to go have coffee with my friend. (Some of you know her as my wife) We sat outside on this beautiful July day, sipped our coffee, ate some yummy food, and talked without interruption. We went on and played with make up in the mall, shopped a bit, and most importantly took some time to just be. It was refreshing to just breathe.

2 comments:

Lauren Hampton said...

I think you put on my mask as well. We both needed the day. So fun to chat, giggle, and shop together. I think this school year will provide many of these days for us. I'm hoping!!
XOXO,
Wifey

Andrea said...

Great Idea!!!!

Post a Comment